Economic Update 3-07-2016
We would like to first “Thank You” for your continued trust in Beta Wealth Group. With your continued support, we have continued to grow as a firm, and hence we are pleased to add Giri Krishnan as our Chief Investment Analyst. Giri comes to Beta Wealth Group with many years of experience researching Investments .
- Economic data on the manufacturing side showed some improvement over the prior month, although several key metrics remained in the negative. Housing numbers released were weaker than expected, although weather could have played a role. Inflation figures were slightly higher than expected, showing strength in the non-energy side, although conditions remain tempered o
- Economic data was highlighted by better-than-expected results in manufacturing and weakness in services—both the opposite of recent trends. The Friday employment situation report was mixed, leaving investors wondering about possible effects on upcoming central bank policy.
- Global equity markets fell on the week, with uncertainties about economic growth and vola
- In a packed week for economic news, the FOMC kept the interest rate level unchanged, while the Japanese decided to lower rates to negative territory. The flurry of other data was generally variable, with economic growth, manufacturing, housing and sentiment measures coming in showing mixed and occasionally contradictory results.
- Global equity markets ended
The January Fed meeting wasn’t expected to be one of any consequence, based on the widely anticipated interest rate move that was handled in December. In their statement, the FOMC acknowledged a slowing of economic growth recently, global financial market volatility, and also pressures that are keeping inflation low, but also labor market improvement. The o
- Last week’s economic data was mixed, with manufacturing not as bad as expected, continued low inflation driven by commodity price declines over the past year, and mixed housing results to end the year.
- A terrible start to the week in equity markets was turned around a bit by Friday, resulting in global stocks ending up positively for the week. Bonds provided sl